[TowerTalk] lightning protection at towers and bunkers on former AT&T mi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] lightning protection at towers and bunkers on former AT&T microwave relay sites
From: "David J \"Dave\" Windisch" <davidjw1@fioptics.com>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 05:12:56 -0400
Hi, all concerned:

Tks much for the speedy replies and suggestions.

Searched NFPA discussion site and found no refs to the Nott Ltd "porcupine
device" debunking mentioned in this thread.

Anybody have a cite, pls?

At some time, after my site was decommissioned, it was stripped to the
walls, and most ferrous and non-ferrous materials not too heavy, red-hot or
nailed down, disappeared.

There's lots of empty conduit.

Still, I've found all if not most reconnect-points to the building and tower
grounds.

My crude ground testing is simply running an AC hot conductor around the
site to ground wires and temporary driven rods, and seeing how brightly
tungsten lamps will glow.

It was suggested offlist that there is prolly a ground mat under the whole
property.

Brgds,

Dave, N3HE