Re: [TowerTalk] Orion 2300

To: Sam Barrett <w5kf@prodigy.net>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Orion 2300
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 18:20:57 -0700
I got a 2300 as part of a package deal with my HDX-5106.
I ended up shelving it and using a K7NV prop pitch for
my MonstIR.  A few years ago when I was at the DX convention
in Visalia, I stopped by the M2 table and inquired about
getting parts for it and/or having it serviced.  The
response wasn't encouraging.  They said that various parts
were used in different years, and I would have to bring it
in and have them look at it and see what they could do.
No guarantees.  The usual rotor repair services don't work
on them, AFAIK.

The 2300 has the well known failure points of the pot
and the capacitor.  The mast clamp is also well known to
be problematic.  The M2 guys described various issues with
the bearings, or bolt holes enlarging, etc.  I don't exactly
remember the details.

Rick N6RK