Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna & Tower Wind Load Ratings

To: TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna & Tower Wind Load Ratings
From: Kurt Andress <andresskurt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 23:34:40 -0700
Hi Gerald,
This is usually not very useful for most installations......
A K6OK has pointed out, with 222-G the wind pressure applied to the antennas are dependent on several site specific variables. 1) Tower System Importance Factor, is the system a critical or non-critical part of societal infrastructure.....?
2) Site Exposure. Urban, Open Country, Sea/Lake Side next to open water.
3) Terrain Profile. Flat terrain or Hilltop site
4) Antenna height above tower base
5) Basic max expected wind speed for the geographical location.

So, what the tower designer probably needs is the correct "Projected Areas" (one for the sum of the elements and one for the boom) and the shapes of members for each (round, or flat/square). Then, he can apply all the appropriate factors and drag coefficients to those "projected areas"to determine the loads those antennas will apply to the tower structure where the client wants to place them. We still aren't getting that yet, so I stuck my neck out to revive this discussion (yet again) to see if a reminder might rejuvenate enough new "market knowledge", which might in turn be able to put enough pressure on these specific product providers to get them to straighten out this needless and senseless problem. If we could get everyone involved in a room @ Dayton or wherever.....we could straighten this out in about 15 minutes, but it might actually take an hour or more because it could be some kind of fun ;-)

Both the tower designers need to clearly tell us they are rating their towers for the antenna "projected areas" (or maybe not?), not making guys like me to have to dig thru some of their pages of detailed calculations to hopefully be able to figure that out, and the antenna suppliers need to provide the correct "projected areas" for each of their products. This is not rocket science and is not difficult to do, it just needs to be done so that everyone is finally able to all be on the same page!
73, Kurt, K7NV
P.S.
I have received some separate correspondence from a very well known P.E. friend, that has followed this discussion, and has designed a lot of towers for us.....he confirmed that all he needed was accurate "projected antenna areas and member shapes", and specifically asked me to not advise anyone to provide resultant wind loads, because one might not know which of the site variables were used to determine them, and if they were all defined by the provider, they are most likely to not be suitable for the site the engineer is trying to design for!