Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna & Tower Wind Load Ratings

To: lists@oakcom.org, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna & Tower Wind Load Ratings
From: Kurt Andress <andresskurt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 01:30:46 -0700
Dealing with improperly designed things is always quite entertaining!
I appreciate all the efforts put forth to do this with antennas their designers did not understand, because they were office dudes, not mechanical engineers that climbed towers and had to deal with what they had actually designed.... I went and spent a bunch of time to go study "Vortex Shedding" , maybe ~15-20 years ago, as I saw it going on everywhere, on all towers, with almost every existing commercially built antenna.....

When, I finally understood how it worked, it was a no brainer to figure out how to try to defeat it! That needs to be done in the engineering office, by someone that understands it!

What is going on is that each size and shape of each antenna member is going to experience "Vortex Shedding" in the wind speed range physics decides it will do that with its shape, at the wind speed it will do that! What is gong on is that wind flow over each section remains connected on one side of it, and cavitates and becomes disconnected from it on the other side, this reverses at the necessary low wind speeds to become reversed from one side of the member to the other side of the member, after the first displacement movement....so each piece of an antenna wants to do this at just the right wind speeds each size of tubing wants to do that by itself!
Configuring these things to not do that is possible....

Message: 4