Re: [TowerTalk] Material Type Numbers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Material Type Numbers
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 09:59:42 -0700
On Tue,6/20/2017 9:43 AM, Clif Keely via TowerTalk wrote:
How do the type numbers relate to things like permiability?

No logic that I've been able to figure out. They are named by their manufacturers.

How are they sized?

For applications and conductor sizes that customers tell the mfrs they want. Just like batteries. :)

Who are the makers of there ferrites.

There are a bunch, but only one that provides detailed engineering data on their products. That company is Fair-Rite.

  I would like to learn more and also look into buying from the major producers
like TDK, Tokin, or Siemens.

I would too, but I've been unable to find tech data on their products that tells me enough to even know their fundamental characteristics.

  Will other core shapes work?

Other than what? For use at HF, we must wind multiple turns around a core that provides a complete magnetic path, so we need cores with a round opening. Rods do NOT work for chokes.

I've posted a link to my tutorial. It explains a lot of things about ferrites and how to use them.

k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73, Jim K9YC