Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain 155CA dampening rope

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain 155CA dampening rope
From: Neal Sulmeyer <Neal@k4ea.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 06:24:56 -0400
​I have never had any issues with  fatigue on the tapered  element Hy-Gain
antennas.  I have had two 105's, a 205 that I converted to 15M (yielding
stiffer elements), two 155's and two 204s.  However, at our contest station in
the Malibu, California mountains, right off the ocean, was a different story.
All our antennas were home brew and no matter how well we designed the tapers
and what thickness the element walls, element fatigue was a serious problem.
We used rope at first, but several time we found broken elements hanging by the
ropes!  Our solution was to use "Great Stuff" foam we purchased at Home Depot.
It took a few trails to get the foam to go all the way down the element, the
trick being slow and steady.  Never had a problem after that.

Neal, K4EA (ex AE6E)