[TowerTalk] Field Day inter-station QRM

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Field Day inter-station QRM
From: "George VE3YV" <ve3yv@pathcom.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 15:15:27 -0400
Herb -

When our club VE3MIS ran 12A, phone and cw on the same band were not usually
a problem.  We planned the site layout to separate phone and cw positions as
much as possible on 40 and 20, the 24hr bands and laid the others out for
best placing of generators.  Antennas were whatever individual band managers
wanted - dipole, delta loop, vertical, yagi.  We have educated folks to use
RF current chokes on antenna feedlines which may help with stray pickup.
Several stations used band pass filters, but that doesn't address same band
issues.  Where problems were noticed, the victim was generally a lower end
rig with DSP-only type filtering.  On a dead band, radiated receiver hash
from some rigs was noticeable.  Our club does not run other than barefoot,
also helpful.

Harmonics (40 cw on either 20 or 15 digital) do show up but are quite narrow
and easy to work around, especially in S&P mode where it is gone a few
seconds later.  Interstation issues were noticeable when running phone, cw
and digital in the same band.  In running digital you don't notice the
phone, but get AGC pumping as the separation between cw and digital
frequencies starts to get less than whatever your receiver can handle.
Experience with the K3 and FT-100 (and using the internal tuner or a
transmatch) was this would be within 20KHz or less as the cw folks chased up
band, so again as K9YC says, the rig matters.  This year the club ran 6A and
nothing was noticed that caused any conversation around the dinner or
breakfast tables.

In short, use physical separation, good rigs, good practice, and have fun.

73, George VE3YV

Message: 1