Re: [TowerTalk] waterproofing big #31 clamp-on choke

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] waterproofing big #31 clamp-on choke
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 15:52:07 -0700
Thanks Howie. I think the key issues are allowing for dissipation and for water to drain from any enclosure.

73, Jim

On 6/29/2017 3:30 PM, Howard Hoyt wrote:
Jim,

I have used a 0.722" ID Fair-Rite p/n 0431176451 mix 31 Snap-It as the feedline choke (5 turns of RG-58) on my car for over five years now. All that is protecting it is a piece of 3" ID dual-wall adhesive heat-shrink tubing. The ends shrunk down to ~ 0.75" so they are not closed up and are oriented vertically so water drains. It has seen blistering sun, sub-zero temps, rain, snow and vibrating for close to 100K miles and it is still in one piece and working well.

Howie - WA4PSC