[TowerTalk] Another Lightning Question

To: "Tower and HF Antenna Construction Topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Another Lightning Question
From: Roger Parsons via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 15:41:29 +0000 (UTC)
I have a 900Mhz link between my home and remote station - it is approximately
10 miles and not LOS. This has meant that I have had to use high gain antennas,
relatively high power and high antennas - the one at the remote site is ~300ft
AGL. (The tower is a 325ft former AM broadcast tower so is very well grounded.
The base insulator is bridged by a wide copper strap.)

The link antennas have amplifiers a few feet from them, and the antennas have
folded driven elements. The coax outer is securely connected to the tower at
top and bottom. In 12 years I have had two amplifiers fail, presumably due to
lightning. I have not had any failures of the equipment at the base of the
tower.

There is no surge protection at the amplifier/antenna, but there is at the base
of the tower and in the equipment room. I am debating whether I should try to
fit a protector at the amplifier? I guess it shouldn't hurt, but it also adds a
failure point and changing the discharge tube is nearly as bad as changing the
amplifier - climbers are very expensive - and I would probably have to bring
the whole lot to ground level to confirm what had failed.

Comments welcome.

Roger

VE3ZI