[TowerTalk] stacks on 40

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] stacks on 40
From: Bill via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 16:14:17 -0400
I've had quite a bit of experience with stacked 40s.  170/85, 200/100, 150/80,
200/90.  All were M2 4 elements.  I can tell you the bottom one on all of them
added to the performance.  First, it made the signal when in BIP better than
just the top.  Second, when it BOP position it was almost always was better
than just the top or bottom.  Guest ops confirmed this.  When the band was in
transition around sunset, I could hear two different "bands".  When switching
to BOP I could hear closer stations like G, F, EA etc. much better  However,
when put into BIP mode a few seconds later I could hear the longer haul stuff
like UB, UA, LZ much better.  Finally, the ability to fight QSB is a well known
factor in favor of stacks.

For the guy who just works USA the 40 stacks would be useless unless he was a
corner of the US like FL.  The 40 meter stacks I used in FL were extremely
useful in domestic contests.  BOP for close in (east of the Mississippi), BIP
for longer stuff like W6/W7.  In addition, it allowed me to spray the
signal...lower one to NE, and upper one to the NW when I chose to TOP/ BOTTOM
option.

Anyone who has the resources (tower, $$) is missing a great opportunity to
improve his station.  If the county allowed me to put up a bigger tower out
here, you can bet I'd have a 120/60 or maybe even a 140/70.

Bill KH7XS/K4XS

Message: 1