Re: [TowerTalk] Fiberglass life expectancy

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fiberglass life expectancy
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 01:23:48 -0400
If you want an even coat from dipping, I think you'll find several coats of thinned paint will give a more even coat than one coat of unthinned. I use a similar method for painting the inside of steel masts. I weld a cap on one end, half fill with thinned Rustoleum, temporary cap the other end. Then roll the mast while tipping it, uncap, pour out the paint, and let set with open end much lower than capped end. (both ends can be temporarily capped and then left open during use.

I just don't like open pipes as the wasps tend to use them for homes. They even managed to get in the exhaust for my shop heater last summer, So I fire it up a couple times a week at night to keep them cleaned out.

As for rust proofing, I weld caps on both ends, drill and tap the center of the cap on one end, put about a quarter of a can of LPS2 sprayed in, epoxy in a set screw flush, roll and tip as with the paint. No welding after the LPS application. There may be enough air mixed with the solvent to blow an end cap off which is quite dangerous which is why I use the setscrew.

Fish eyes add character to antennas.

73, Roger (K8RI)