Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna in trees?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna in trees?
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 14:27:04 -0500
I forgot to mention this in previous email...  Outdoor shops and of course internet vendors like Amazon sell manually operated chain saws which are a length of chainsaw chain with handles.  You wrap the chain around a limb one half turn and pull the handles alternately to sever a branch or tree trunk.  When trying to put antennas in the woods you can put a "leader" in place by whatever means (air launch, casting rod, or??) and use that to pull a strong rope in place.  You then use that rope to pull the manual chainsaw into place (with a rope extension on the other side of it of course.)   Now with your boots safely (more on that in a moment) on the ground you can saw off a limb high in a tree. Safer than an extension ladder or climbing.  DO NOT STAND DIRECTLY UNDER THE LIMB YOU ARE CUTTING!!  Stand to one side so the falling limb doesn't "GET YOU."

You can make a few strategic cuts and get your wire(s) into the clear.  Prune the branches more severely than needed at the time as some regrowth will occur and necessitate more pruning fairly soon if you don't allow for that regrowth.

Patrick        NJ5G