Re: [TowerTalk] Need Capacitors for Matching Network

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Capacitors for Matching Network
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 10:46:50 -0700
Interesting design problem. In addition to voltage breakdown, an important issue with capacitors for this application is ESR. The cheap stuff you found don't satisfy that. I did something like this on a 160 Tee vertical, for which I needed series C in the range of 800 pF.

I'm lucky enough to live an hour from one of the few remaining electronics surplus warehouses that used to be so plentiful in our major cities. http://www.halted.com/ I was able to browse the aisles and find a wide range of suitably rated capacitors, and bought a bunch to stock my junkbox. Without access to doc on their specs, I performed the simple test of putting them inline with the antenna feed, transmitting for a while at full power, then giving them the "touch" test to observe whether or not they were heating up. Enough passed that test that I was able to use various series/parallel combinations to get what I needed. Unfortunately, I doubt that the contests of these bins are listed online. :)

Another suggestion. Have you considered designing a network using coax stubs? Or suitable lengths of coax as a capacitor? SimSmith is a great tool for doing that. Export the Z file from your antenna model to SimSmith and see what you come up with. I don't pretend to be an expert on voltage ratings of coax, but I do remember hearing that published voltage ratings are often for the outer jacket, not the dielectric. Perhaps voltage ratings could be inferred from power ratings. I'll bet that someone on the reflector knows more about this. :)

SimSmith will compute dissipation in circuit elements, including coax, if loss data for the components are known and entered, and it includes data for lots of commonly used coax. Loss in coax below UHF is all I squared R from conductor resistance (center plus braid), and thanks to skin effect, loss is pretty low below 10 MHz.

73, Jim K9YC