Re: [TowerTalk] Crappy LMR600

To: "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crappy LMR600
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 08:25:53 -0500
Yes, that is what I intended to say.  Upon reading again, it is not clear.

I have used LMR-600, two pieces, on my 150 foot tower.  It worked great on
20 and 40 meters, for about two years.  However, over time my installation
failed, and both cables ended up slipping out of their connectors.
Examination of the cables showed water corrosion at least 6 feet past the
connectors.  I line near Houston, Texas, where the tower is often subjected
to hurricanes and tropical storms.  So, my experience if far from ordinary,
especially compared to arid climate

I learned about the long-life capabilities of Heliax hard line from Frank
W3LPL, at Contest University.  He posed the question something like "Who
would like to have an antenna farm designed to last 30 years."  Of course,
all hands went up.

Turns out that lightning is also a major factor here.  A close strike feeds
secondary arcs to the tower and coax cables.  These arcs can penetrate the
coax jacket, creating pin holes that allow water intrusion.  Heliax is not
ruined by this intrusion.

73, Keith NM5G