Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning raised radial verticals

To: john@kk9a.com, towertalk@contesting.com, "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning raised radial verticals
From: Rudy Bakalov via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 12:38:35 +0000 (UTC)
 First and foremost thank you everybody who took the time to read my post and
provide thoughtful suggestions and additional references. I also realize, based
on some of the comments, that I have not fully described the array.
The array is all wire elements suspended from the top of the tower at about
90'. The wire elements are suspended from two X-arm fiberglass poles, each 23'
long. That is, the rope that suspends the wire elements ends about 11' away
from the tower.
The elements are fed with DX Engineering phasing lines tuned for 3550. The
phasing lines are supplied with ferrite beads to deal with common mode flows
(are these beads enough is a different question). The phasing lines are
connected to the DX Engineering 4SQ box, which presumably is an improved
version of the old Comtek box.
While there were no elements up in the air, we erected and tuned the first
element, SW. Tuned to 1.01 at 3413, resulting in element length of 68.5' and
radial length of 70'. Then we lowered the element and built each and every
element the same way and of course tuning it using the RigExpert analyzer. The
RigExpert itself was calibrated for the 3' of coax we use for measuring.
Note that each and every element on its own has a really nice deep null at
about 3413. Visually it looks exactly what you'd expect from a resonant antenna.
Only after we built and tuned each element we connected the phasing lines and
the DX Engineering 4SQ box. At this point the SWR no longer looks like one
taken from a resonant antenna. The SWR is way too flat and way too wide to be
true (the omni direction of course looks way to wacky). I would have expected
to see nice deep null SWR curves, only shifted up in frequency.
So my working assumption is that the DX Engineering phasing lines do not have
sufficient beads to adequately suppress common mode flows. Later today I will
try to confirm this hypothesis by measuring the SWR curves at the end of the
phasing lines connected to the elements. The thinking here is that if I see
flat and broad SWR curves the phasing line acts as a radiator and essentially
extends the vertical element.
I am also thinking of adding more radials. This however is not that trivial.
ON4UN writes in his book (4th edition, page 11-84) that with 1-4 raised radials
it is very important to make sure the radials are not parallel to each other
(Chapter 11, section 8.2). So my plan is to add 2 1/8 radials (35')
perpendicular to the current radial (this is shown in Figure 11-121-F in the
book, page 11-86).
That said, switching directions yields audible and visually significant (2-3 S
units) results.
Rudy N2WQ
    On Thursday, August 31, 2017, 10:10:22 PM EDT, Bob Shohet, KQ2M