Re: [TowerTalk] Fire hazard with inverted L ??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fire hazard with inverted L ??
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 09:48:13 -0700
On 9/4/2017 8:52 AM, Bob Shohet, KQ2M wrote:
It’s not an issue.  There is even less chance of this happening if you use pvc
coated wire as I do (rather than bare wire).

YMMV. I haven't started a fire, but one end of a 160M dipole was scorched where it had made intimate contact with the green part of the redwood that supported it. Remember that the ends of most antennas are high voltage points, so are more likely to arc over and do that. And if that happens when the vegetation is quite dry, you could have a wildland fire.

Soon after moving here, I experimented with loading a top-loaded vertical on 80M that was nearly a half wave on that band, matching it with an inductor and capacitor. The capacitor was a short open length of RG8 laying on the ground. Because it was close to a half wave, it was also a high voltage point After transmitting for a while at legal limit, I came out to adjust it, and found dry grass around the end of the coax very close to combustion.

Others (W8JI, for one) have cautioned about the need to insulate the ends of radials.

73, Jim K9YC