Re: [TowerTalk] Your experience with rope capstan hoists or winches

To: "'Charles Morrison'" <junkcmp@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Your experience with rope capstan hoists or winches
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 21:55:47 -0400
I bought a My-TE FA300/AB electric capstan winch when I raised my 55G tower.
Also used it to tram large and heavy antennas, lift rotors, etc. It worked
flawlessly and had plenty of power even at the end of about 300 feet of
heavy-duty extension cord.

I mounted the winch on a sturdy wood platform and bolted that to a pair of
strong perforated steel angles attached to the tower legs with u-bolts about a
foot or two off the ground. I also sank a pressure-treated 4x4 a couple feet in
the ground about 10-15 feet from the tower to serve as a post where the winch
man could tie off the end of the rope when the load reached the desired level.

Expensive, but worth it. If you go with this model, get the foot switch. The
winch operator needs two hands to handle the rope.

Definitely recommend a capstan winch.

73, Dick WC1M