Re: [TowerTalk] turnbuckle safety wires

To: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] turnbuckle safety wires
From: "Joe Giacobello, K2XX via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 14:21:43 -0400
I had problems with turnbuckles unscrewing themselves. While not as sure as the wire approach many have described here, ever since I started using thread locking adhesive (Loctite, Permabond, etc.) I've not had any problems. Similarly for rotor mounts. There are various strength grades. A medium strength grade should be adequate.

73, Joe
K2XX

Steve Maki <mailto:lists@oakcom.org>
Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:48 PM
The typical turnbuckle safety wire is designed to prevent inadvertent unscrewing of the turnbuckle, either from vibration or random vandalism. It's not to support the tower in the event of a turnbuckle failure. That would at least require more than one in-line cable clamp.

Note: I've NEVER seen a turnbuckle prone to unscrewing itself, but don't consider that a reason to not use them.

The turnbuckle shouldn't be the weak link in the system anyway. It should be oversized and of good quality to insure that the threads remain in good operating condition.

-Steve K8LX