Re: [TowerTalk] Fan dipole construction methods

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fan dipole construction methods
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 06:56:41 -0700
On 10/1/17 4:21 AM, N1BUG wrote:
I've been reading the fan dipole discussion with much interest. I have used fan dipoles for many years, as inverted V, common center point with the ends tied off separately. The biggest one (a club project) had 6 wires for 160/80/40/20/15/10. It worked OK but that was a lot of rope! Currently I have individual inverted V antennas for each of several bands all supported from various points on one tower. I would like to reduce the number or ropes tied off everywhere.

If you have successfully constructed and used a fan dipole where one or more more wires hang from the first and each end requires only a single support rope I would like to see details of the construction. I have made a few attempts and seen some others but they all either suffered from the lower wires sagging, constantly breaking spreaders or both.

Isn't this much like the Alpha-Delta series of antennas - multiband dipoles with parallel wires separated by a few inches. Sure, there's a lot of interaction when tuning it, but you only have to do that once to get it close.

https://www.alphadeltacom.com/pg1.html

Then, a tuner at the shack can take out the last little bit of error (it's not like you're trying to match a 80m dipole on 40m.. it's more like you're trying to match a 39.5m dipole on 40m)

Ideally (and this may be too many wires to be practical) I would like to construct an 80/60/40/30 meter fan dipole requiring only a single rope at each end. Major project is OK if the end result is viable.