Re: [TowerTalk] Fan Dipole (I thought that was the discussion)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fan Dipole (I thought that was the discussion)
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2017 14:02:25 -0700
You can tell the ol' folks, nostalgia and 'I remember . . .' set in!!

So, being older than most. I would be willing to bet the 40M folded dipole may have be an Amphenol antenna? I used one in '54 and it came from an Amphenol kit drove it with a QRO single xtal-controlled 6L6 (think that was the toob) and listened on a SX-71. Still have all the xtals, wish I had my first HB transmitter. Has not ham radio come a long ways and yet in many ways it has not changed. Does seem like a lot of hams say things today on the air which I did my Mom would have blistered my bottom or sored up my knuckles. A lot of good manners seem to have been lost someplace on the way for a lot more than 'I remember' back then.

Opened up the legs of the 40 M part of the fan dipole and noise dropped perceptibly. Still have not got the two band wires up to full height (70 at center) yet. See some reasons to find a couple of long rods and hang the 40M directly under the 80 but with greater end separation than in the diagrams seen so far. Will use another light rope to stabilize the 40. Thanks to all for all of the input on their experiences, good and bad. How good the pudding is has yet to be determined here.

Side question - comments on the WT54G router, eliminating the offending cable carrying the noise by going wireless. I'd like to hear a bit more. Since off the tower topic you can contact me directly.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Rod Greene via TowerTalk