[TowerTalk] Silver plating...cool amp goop

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Silver plating...cool amp goop
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 17:30:57 -0700
http://www.cool-amp.com/index.html

I use this stuff all the time  for tank coils and interconnecting straps, and
strap coils,
and also  had great success on  open frame relays and also single  + 3 phase
contactors.
On contactors, even new ones,  contact resistance drops to zero every
time...and stays put.

It comes out a nice matte finish.    I dont use a cloth to apply.  I put on a
pair of vinyal or latex
gloves, then get in there with all my fingers and really rub it in good.   But
the copper  or brass
has to be super clean 1st.   I typ will silver plate a bunch of stuff...all in
one session.   After cutting,
punching holes, winding tubing, cutting or trimming strap etc, I then clean it
with the soap pads the
wifes uses on pots and pans in the kitchen.   Looks like steel wool soaked in
blue powder cleaner.
Called   jets..or sos pads on you grocery store shelf.   Then the cu comes out
super bright and clean.

Then rinsed in warm water, then dried.  Then the .. cool-amp powder is mixed
with a few drops of water
in a small container, or large spoon.   Once the right consistency is achieved,
I apply it to the 1st piece that
needs to be plated.   U gotta really rub it in hard.  You can readily see on
any piece, where it requires more goop.
Once done, any excess  goop / paste is applied to the next piece.    1st piece
is then rinsed quickly under warm water.
Then set aside on clean paper towel.   Then continue on till its all done.

It has an indefinite shelf life.   The finished coils and straps etc, come out
pristine..and stay like that.    Some of it
I have done is over 20 years old and still looks good.   Bare copper drives me
nuts, I hate it.   One day I tried it on the contacts
of some brand NEW Deltrol 30A relay contacts.   The contacts has lousy and int
resistance on them.   Not any more, they are all
zero ohms..and stay like that.   This was on the  F12 relay switch boxes that
were used for 80m rotary dipoles  and also 40m dipole
and yagis.
16 ozs will do 6000 sq inches or  42 sq ft.   4 ozs is plenty for most
applications.   They also have free samples.

The other product they make is called... conducto lube.  Ground up pure silver
..in grease.  I tried that stuff on sliding contacts.and
it works superb.   A ham buddy who works for the power company sez they use
both products.  Cool amp goop used on overlapping buss bars.
Conducto lube used on sliding contacts.

A lot easier to plate coils + strap  vs the alternatives out there.

later... Jim   VE7RF