Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding connection to tower legs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding connection to tower legs
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:46:42 -0700
On 10/16/2017 10:20 AM, Bob Shohet, KQ2M wrote:
I then watched him attach a flimsy hoseclamp for the cable ground, on its own ground rod NOT
connected to the house utility ground connection (equally flimsy).  I remarked on this and he
said “that was the code”.

He is DEAD WRONG. Most (all?) North American building codes are either NEC or based on NEC. Virtually ALL of these codes, as well as good engineering practice, REQUIRE that all grounds within a premises be bonded together. A "bond" is defined as a mechanically and electrically robust connection that has a very low impedance and can carry all possible fault current. Because lightning is an RF event, NOT a DC event, a bond must generally be "short, fat copper." Obviously, short fat steel and aluminum also work as long as dissimilar metals issues are avoided.

Grounding in the house I bought here in NorCal was AWFUL. The only ground on the electrical service was a stranded #6 or #4 running about 50 ft over a circuitous path to a hose outlet, which connected to the water system with PVC conduit. In other words, there was NO ground at the service or for the house. Telco and CATV entered right next to the power (GREAT) but shared that non-ground.

There WAS a feed to the garage/mother-in-law apartment which is now my shack. 240 plus neutral plus ground were carried to a panel in that building, where there was a #12 bare copper running about 75 ft to a single rod. This rod was the only ground anywhere in the system. These were far from the only code violations. I found cross-wired outlets and a string of 120V outlets fed between phase and ground in the half-kitchen in the garage building.

Until I fixed it, this mess brought a lot of line noise that was picked up by my antennas.

73, Jim K9YC