Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: Wind survival + load ratings... vs,

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: Wind survival + load ratings... vs,
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 07:08:44 -0400
I own several smaller 40m OptiBeam antennas which have held up fine and
from an RF viewpoint they are fantastic however I have heard the horror
stories about their 80m beams from other tower installers. OptiBeam also
makes a massive full sized 4el 40m which may have the same issues. I asked
Tom once what aluminum he uses and I seem recall a non specific answer
like aircraft aluminum or something like that. It is interesting that high
strength tubing may not be available in EU. Also metric tubing does not
telescope nicely, I wonder how that effects the strength of the joint.
Imperial sized tubing with a .058 wall fits together perfectly making it
easy to homebrew. For my homebrew antennas I only use 6061-t6, I see most
ham suppliers sell 6063-t8. What is the difference?

John KK9A