[TowerTalk] GETTING A LARGE MAST INSERTED INTO TOWER HAVING 2 EXISTING T

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GETTING A LARGE MAST INSERTED INTO TOWER HAVING 2 EXISTING THRUST BEARINGS THAT WON'T COME OUT
From: Greg Best via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 02:10:02 +0000 (UTC)
I have a large diameter mast going into my SSV tower that has dual thrust
bearings in it and I need some good ideas on how to actually insert the mast
because it is heavy, awkward, and not much clearance between the mast OD and
the thrust bearings’ ID.  The mast is 23 ft long, of which 15 ft will stick out
the top of the tower. The mast is 3.5 “ OD with 0.25” wall and it weighs almost
200 pounds. So it is not just something a couple of guys can pick up and shove
through the first thrust bearing. The thrust bearings are about 6 feet apart.
I think the difficult thing is to line it up and get it started the first few
inches.  The thrust bearings are 5” or so long.  Any suggestions?

I would like to put it in the tower section while the section is on the ground
since it will likely be easier to control versus putting it in via crane after
tower is already stood up (and also less subject to wind.)

Greg, N9GB