Re: [TowerTalk] BigIR question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BigIR question
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 11:50:03 -0700
Legal power for classic AM on 80 meters is 375 W of carrier power.  If you run this then the PEP is 1500W and the antenna is within spec.

Wes  N7WS
'
On 12/7/2017 7:52 AM, Keith Dutson wrote:
That sounds reasonable.  You might want to contact SteppIR to help detect the
problem.

I was using a vertical antenna rated for 1500 watts, but it failed using 1500 watts
AM on 80 meters.  SWR went very high causing amp (Alpha 87A) to fault.  Manufacturer
said it would not handle AM, only PEP.  So much for my demonstration to a friend.
<grin>

73, Keith NM5G