Re: [TowerTalk] common mode chokes, baluns and multiband doublets

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] common mode chokes, baluns and multiband doublets
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 21:24:32 -0800
YES, YES, YES!  Let's use the correct word to describe things. FAR less confusion.

Several points in this discussion.

Kevin Stover, Wes Stewart, and David Gilbert are entirely correct in their posts.  2-wire line by itself does NOT make a system balanced. Current on the two conductors will be equal and opposite ONLY if the rest of the system is balanced. But many (most?) wire antennas that we hams CAN rig are unbalanced by their surroundings -- ground slope, unequal heights of the two ends, surrounding conductors (in buildings, trees, other antennas, towers that support them). They are also BADLY unbalanced if the two lengths are unequal (like OCF "dipoles").

Dean Straw, N6BV, retired editor of the ARRL Handbook and Antenna Book, wrote an excellent applications note that ran in QST about 2 years ago (April '14 or '15?) in which he observed that badly matched antennas place very high voltage and current points along the antenna, and either can fry even the most robust of common mode chokes.

The first solid work I've seen published on 2-wire common mode chokes was by W2FMI. He reported that the Zo of closely spaced #12 enameled wire is about 50 ohms, and is in the range of 90 - 100 ohms for #12 THHN. When I first started winding those chokes I confirmed his observations, and I've recently measured some #12 teflon pairs with Zo in the range of 105 - 110 ohms. These values will, of course, depend on details of the dielectric material and it's thickness. We're using #12 THHN chokes on #31 cores to choke high wire dipoles (feedpoint Z in the range of 75-88 ohms, depending on height and the soil under them) and #12 enameled copper to feed 50 ohm Yagis.  The design of the Force 12 C3SS that we use for portable operation does NOT like the THHN chokes, but works very well with the enameled wire chokes.

I've done a lot of work studying this, and published it both on my website and in the ARRL Handbook. k9yc.com/publish.htm   On the basis of that work, I do not believe that it is practical to effectively choke any badly matched antenna at any power level above 100W, and even at 100W it's easy to fry a choke.

While Wes is a superb engineer, I strongly disagree with him about use of the word "balun"  -- I can think of nearly a dozen very different parts or products that are called "balun."  Indeed, the great confusion about what they are and how they work (or don't work) is CAUSED by using the same word to describe very different things.

73, Jim K9YC