Re: [TowerTalk] Prosistel 2051 rotator

To: Max Cotton <M0GHQ@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prosistel 2051 rotator
From: Dave Sublette <k4to.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 09:47:37 -0500
The pot is accessible beneath a bottom plate on the gearbox.  Unless you
suspect a mechanic problem with the gears, do not open the gear box.  Before
disassembly, put the rotator at North, or some known heading.  Measure the
resistance between all terminals on the pot.  Write it down and when you put
the new pot in place, set the resistance  to the same value.

If you have a 10K pot, you might think about converting the system to 500 ohms.
 this should give better resolution. You will have to change the gain of the
circuit in the control box.  The information is probably found with a Google
search.  Buy your replacement pot from an electronic components dealer, not the
distributor of the rotator.  It should be cheaper that way.  It would be a 500
ohm, three turn pot versus the 10K, ten turn unit that comes standard.

If you wish, put the rotator on the bench and apply a DC to the motor leads and
watch the action of the pot on an ohm meter to verify erratic operation.  You
might just have  a cabling problem and not a problem with the pot.  Do NOT turn
the motor this way more than 180 degrees in one direction  and return it to the
resting position before disconnecting.  There is some chance of turning the
motor and pot beyond the end and breaking it.  Not as likely with the ten turn
pot as would be with the 3 turn pot.

Good luck.

73,

Dave, K4TO