Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Common Mode Choke with Anritsu VNA

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Common Mode Choke with Anritsu VNA
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 09:39:49 +0000
Maximo,

I don't think that instrument will allow you to see the Zcm of a choke directly on-screen.

However, it looks like it will display |S21| directly. With the choke connected between the two ports, |S21| will give you a good indication of |Zcm| for the high values we are mostly interested in [e.g. |S21|=-40dB implies |Zcm|=10,000Ohms]. The |S21| scan will also allow you to quickly see the resonant frequency of the choke.

What you wont see easily is the Q of the choke, unless the instrument can also display the phase of S21.

Steve G3TXQ