Re: [TowerTalk] NEMA Box for poly phaser and Coax connections

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] NEMA Box for poly phaser and Coax connections
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 13:59:19 -0800
On 12/31/2017 11:40 AM, CEPitts wrote:
I know bigger is always bigger than smaller due to possibly having to add items *(Box size)*

KF7P sells a lot of antenna system accessories, including "Hoffman" boxes with multiple arrestors inside. Chris sells good stuff -- he exhibits at Pacificon and Visalia. Hoffman boxes are hinged non-conductive weatherproof enclosures with a weatherproof strip at the hinged door.

Taking that idea but implementing it differently, W6GJB and I built an entry box with 8 arrestors mounted to the conductive backplate. It's a big box, nearly the biggest I could find, roughly 20 x 16 x 8 inches. The arrestors are mounted so that connectors are vertical. We cut holes directly beneath each arrestor for cables to enter from antennas and another for the #4 stranded Cu going to the ground system. There are two 4-in PVC conduit stubs cut into the backplate that to through the wall into the shack. I paid about $220 for the enclosure at a local electrical supply. I might have saved $10 buying on line (I had already checked), but I prefer to support a local vendor who goes to the trouble of stocking stuff like this. Not only did the counterman know exactly what I was looking for, he knew exactly where to look and found three pieces in stock!

I added conventional compression-type strain reliefs in the holes, making the opening large enough to pass a coax connector. To increase the o.d. of the cables, I added several layers of heat shrink to the coax where it enters the box, so that the strain reliefs nearly close the opening when tightened.

I chose the Array Solutions AS-302U arrestors, both because I liked the circuit and because the GDT is user replaceable. I'm still using a bunch of Polyphasers on a big Cu entry panel cut into the wall for some antennas, but I've gotten very tired of having to replace the entire arrestor when a lightning hit (or antenna fault) fries the GDT.  Not only is it expensive, but it's a 2-man job to replace the arrestor because of where it's mounted. Now, as they fry, the antennas will be shifted to the new box. All my wire antennas have already been moved to the new box. It's been my experience that these are the only ones that fry -- my towers are distant from the shack, so most lightning energy discharges at the tower.

Note that I am NOT encouraging the use of lightning arrestors at your tower -- I'm only talking mechanics here -- and I strongly recommend that you look at the 4O3A 8x2 switch. It's RF performance is FAR superior, and it's quite well built.

73, Jim K9YC