[TowerTalk] Beverage on Ground: 50 ohm or 75 ohm system?

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beverage on Ground: 50 ohm or 75 ohm system?
From: Richard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 06:47:17 -0600
I'm working on installing my first 160 receive array.

I don't have room for traditional beverages.  Ground mounted receive loops like the K9AY array will not be a good solution as I have a large deer population that would end up tearing it down.  We had an 8 point buck with xmas lights hanging off his antlers so I don't think loops would survive

As I go through the design I'm trying to determine if I should use a 75 ohm system (the most common due to cheap rg-6 coax I suppose) or a 50 ohm system.  I have plenty of rg-8x coax laying around and I could use a remote coax switch to get all of the signals (4) from two reversible Beverage on Ground (BOG) arrays.  I would prefer to bring in a single coax to the shack vs 4 separate lines.

Will a 50 ohm system play well with the available pre-amps.  All of the pre-amps I have found have F-connectors which leads me to believe they are setup for 75 ohms.  If I go with RG-8x/50ohm matching transformers do I need to consider a 50 to 75 ohm transformer before going into the pre-amp?

What about the output of the pre-amp into the 50 ohm input of the receiver?

Thanks in advance.

Rich - N5ZC