Re: [TowerTalk] 160m antenna ideas / suggestions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m antenna ideas / suggestions
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:36:21 -0700

Several years ago I worked 3B9R on 160m from my QTH here in southern Arizona (2 miles from the Mexican border).  I live on a hillside at the mouth of a large canyon, so I stretched a couple of wires across it to make a 2 element wire yagi for 160m about 200 feet in the air pointed in their direction.  I had to set up portable from my vehicle and I used a 400 watt amplifier, but even so I needed to use so much RG-8X coax (for light weight) to reach the antenna that I calculated I was only getting about 100 watts to the antenna. Still, I worked 3B9R with ease and was the furthest station from them to do so.  While other hams west of the Mississippi River were lucky to get five minutes of gray line openings I was hearing them S7 to S9+ for almost an hour at dusk some days.

Being rather proud of myself, I posted my results to the Topband Reflector and got a reply from none other than Bob Brown, NM7M, one of the more esteemed propagation experts on 160m propagation.  He pointed out that because of the electron gyrofrequency effect, he calculated that for the path from my QTH to 3B9 I was suffering about 11 db disadvantage by using horizontal polarization instead of vertical polarization.  Personally, I think my wire yagi still had the advantage over a vertical at my QTH if for no other reason than the fact that the ground slopes downward between 16% and 5% for about 7 miles in that direction thus giving me an extremely low takeoff angle for a horizontal antenna, but he really opened my eyes to the effect polarization has on 80m and 160m. Over flat land and because of the electron gyrofrequency effect, I can understand why many hams find a vertical antenna to be optimum on 160m for many paths.

NM7M wrote what is still a pretty good treatise on HF propagation in general.  It's called Propagation 101 and can be found here:

http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/Radio/nm7m-hf-propagation-tutorial.pdf

Here is another of his works:

http://k9la.us/NM7M_The_Big_Gun_s_Guide_to_Low-Band_Propagation.pdf

73,