Re: [TowerTalk] Voltage Breakdown For Enameled Wire

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Voltage Breakdown For Enameled Wire
From: SLee <gwy4ever@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 01:35:21 -0800
Greetings to all,
I agree with Grant Saviers, KZ1W, on recommending Tempco magnet-wire. Tempco guarantees their product to be USA manufactured. I use their GP/MR-200 grade magnet-wire rather than the Soderon155. GP/MR- 200 is temperature rated to 200°C, chemical resistant, with a minimum breakdown voltage of 4,275 volts at 200° and 5,700 volts at room temperature. Average rated breakdown voltage at 200°C is 10.3 KV.  I've been using this particular wire in 12, 14, 18, and 24 gauge for many years now (in non-ham technical applications) with zero issues.  Fresh #31 and #43 cores are arriving tomorrow from Arrow.com so I'll be winding some chokes here shortly.  Amps on hand include an old Heathkit HL2200 plus an Ameritron AL-80B; neither of which get operated beyond 700 watts. So expectations here are high for positive results.

https://temcoindustrial.com/10-awg-copper-magnet-wire-2-oz-mw0385-magnetic-coil-gpmr200.html

Something to consider:  The insulation on Soderon155 acts as a flux upon soldering therefore it need not be prepped for soldering.  In contrast, GP/MR-200 insulation must be mechanically removed prior to soldering.    Stephen Lee, N7RV