[TowerTalk] Install Type N connector to 1/2" Smoothwall

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Install Type N connector to 1/2" Smoothwall
From: Rick Wheeler <info@omalley.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 01:31:40 +0000
It is smoothwall but the description from Tessco was this:

CommScope

<https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=473138>
CommScope - 1/2" HELIAX Superflexible Smoothwall Aluminum
TESSCO SKU: 473138
QTY/UOM: 1 FOOT
UPC: 646444731386
MFG Part #: SFX-500
The Andrew SFX-500 1/2 inch superflex heliax coaxial cable features a
smooth-wall aluminum outer conductor. This 50 Ohm coax cable has a closed
micro-cell foam dielectric and copper-clad center conductor.

They describe it as heliax but it is smoothwall. It has good specs; .529 db
loss at 30 MHz/100 ft. You find the tech specs at Tessco's website searching
sku No. 473138. Still don't know where the 'Superflexible' term came into play.
It's stiff!

After studying how the compression tool works (JMA has a Youtube video about
installing their connectors), I believe I may be able to make two dies from
1/4" plate steel or so on my mill. With these dies I could put the N connector
with the cable screwed in after it is prepped properly  (that's what is done
before the compression step) and put the dies with the N connector inside and
place all that into a hydraulic press. Would be definitely more cumbersome and
slower than the nice Rigid tool gun but I think it would get the job done.

Think that would work?

Rick Wheeler

K4LX

Message: 1