To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 182, Issue 3
From: Rick Wheeler <info@omalley.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 23:16:09 +0000
Yes, you're correct, .357dB/100 feet at 30 Mhz is better, but IMHO I consider
that .529 is also a very good spec too for the HF bands. Heck, even good 'ole
Buryflex at .7 dB loss is fine for many hams on HF. I show from a 100 watt
input 92.1 watts reaching the end of a 100 foot run for the LDF4-50A and for
the smoothwall 1/2" 88.5 watts; a difference of 3.6 watts and the converse
could be applied to receive attenuation. It can be argued that nearly every
loss or gain in any spec is theoretically noticeable per se, but I'd think one
would be hard pressed to accurately choose one over another via a true A/B
test. And even if one could, the difference would be very small. .17 dB, we
need 6 dB to swing the S meter one notch. And that's all at 30 Mhz. I'd
consider around 14 Megs and lower where most spend most of their time operating.

If both cables were priced similar, I'd naturally choose the LDF, but when you
can get new stock 475' roll at for just about the same price as shipping vs.
around $2.50/ft (almost $1,200) plus shipping for the LDF, then for my amateur
station the 1/2" smoothwall wins. And yes, I now see the connectors for the
smoothwall might be a PIA vs. the connectors for LDF, but I think (fingers
crossed) I have devised a solution making easy to make dies from 1/4" steel and
pressing it all together in a hand operated standup hydraulic press. I even
considered using one of my injection molding machines clamps (max 238 tons),
but that might get out of hand!

Rick Wheeler

K4LX

Message: 3