Re: [TowerTalk] Digging The Hole

To: "'Joe Partlow'" <joe.w6jwp@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging The Hole
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 21:42:50 -0600
Like Jim says, I wouldn't go down in that hole either.
Last year I had a garage built some distance from the house and had to have
a long trench dug to run water, gas, antenna lines etc.
The trench was around 6 feet deep and ended up being around 8 feet wide
because of multiple cave ins. The soil here is clay, sandy loam and gravel.
Most of it went ok but some areas would cave in unexpectedly. Some of them
were from the sides about half way up and some from the top.
Multiple times the backhoe had to re dig parts.

Afterword I put up two towers with concrete 4x4x6 feet. The holes ended up
bigger than wanted but just a few hundred dollars of extra concrete needed
and I got a larger foundation.

73
Gary  K4FMX