Re: [TowerTalk] Trying to test out my old 40 meter cushcraft

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trying to test out my old 40 meter cushcraft
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 10:30:41 -0800 (PST)
Quite a few years back I had a 40' Rohn tower with a system 36 by Wilson on it.
The tower was setup to tilt over on a hand winch with a ginpole. I could tilt
the tower over very near the ground with the system 36 tribander facing up into
the sky and tune it. The reflector was only about a foot off the ground. You
could predict the shift in the SWR curve when raised up after a couple of tries
and it worked very well. The system 36 needed to be adjusted for 10 meters and
I moved those traps in slightly to shift up the resonance on 10 and readjusted
the 15/20 section out slightly. Was really a nice little setup.Learned a lot
about tribanders there even though I didn't think the system 36 by Wilson was
very good. Unlike the Mosley System 36 it was copied off of.

But the point is you can adjust a yagi pointing it up in the air with the
reflector near the ground and predict which way and how much the SWR curve will
shift. Can't do this with a quad though is my experience.

Terry

KI7M