[TowerTalk] Boom Truss Clamp (Collar, Sleeve?)

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Boom Truss Clamp (Collar, Sleeve?)
From: Richard Smith <n6kt1@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 01:55:52 +0000 (UTC)

I'm involved in planning a station on PJ4, in which some yagis will be large
enough that a boom truss support will be needed. I would like to find a clamp
made of aluminum for connection to the aluminum boom. I'm hoping to find a
clamp that is all aluminum, or mostly aluminum (small amount of stainless steel
hardware, none in direct physical contact with the boom). I have had some of my
own experience, and have seen photos, of installations where a Stainless Steel
or Galvanized Steel U-Bolt, Muffler Clamp, or bracket was used for attachment
of a truss to a boom. Dissimilar metal (galvanic action) at the attachment
point caused weakening of the boom, sometimes to the point where the boom broke.
I have been searching online for a while and the links below show clamps that
are kind of close to, but not quite matching, my idea of an aluminum boom clamp
for this application:
TETRIX® MAX Tubing Coupler (W39379)
|   |

http://www.leetackle.com/clampaccessories.html

If anyone has already solved this design challenge, I would appreciate if you
would share the details.

Thanks and 73,
Rich, N6KT