Re: [TowerTalk] Rust prevention

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rust prevention
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 07:40:38 -0500
I do not believe that coating the inside is necessary. I painted the
outside of P40A Rohn 55G tower with Brite Zinc
https://www.briteproducts.com/products.php every six months.  This worked
fine until I quit this "fun in the sun" task for a couple of years knowing
that I would sell the residence then the tower then got a few pin holes.
The side facing the wind had the most corrosion, apparently the finish
gets salt/sand blasted.  If you are worried about it rusting from the
inside I would use a solid rod tower or one made out of angle iron.  FWIW,
AN Wireless towers seem to hold up very well in this environment.

John KK9A

From:   Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed, 7 Mar 2018 21:31:27 -0500

Looking for the best ideas for coating/sealing inside and outside of a
galvanized tower to best inhibit rust for a tower that would be located
within
75 feet of open saltwater sea.

Any good experiences with such an application?  Coating inside with something
and then filling legs with expanding foam?  Other ideas?

Thanks... Stan, ZF9CW