Re: [TowerTalk] Screw in anchors

To: "Jeff Whisler" <jwhisler33@gmail.com>, "Bill via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Screw in anchors
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 13:01:15 -0400
Hi Jeff,

My qth is at the top of a heavily forested hill on uneven and jagged ledge with
wetlands, ravines, etc.  It is a nightmare to do tower work here.

I have dealt with all the issues you describe for the past 20 years.  Let me
offer you some suggestions based on my experiences with putting up and
maintaining 2 Rohn 45 towers at 100’ and 130’.

1) Be prepared to clear out a LOT of trees.  I did all the chainsawing down and
cutting up myself.  If you like wood fires you will have enough for many years.
 If you don’t want to do the work yourself, then spend the money to hire a good
local Tree service that will charge you reasonable rates and have them do all
the work – cutting down, cutting up and/or hauling away.

Depending on the community, there may be some loggers that will either take
some of your trees down gratis – for the wood – or may pay you for the trees
once they are taken down.  This could reduce your overall cost and reduce the
amount of work you need to do.

2) Yes, hire a competent local backhoe operator.  They can get their backhoe
into narrow areas between trees, around ledge etc.  They also cost less than
larger machinery.   Have them dig ALL the holes for the towers and guy anchors.
 I used the 7’ Rohn guy anchors with 5-hole equalizer plates.  My advice is
DON’T use screw-in anchors.

3)  It was impossible to get a concrete truck to the holes for the tower bases
and guy anchors.  Not a problem.

I hired the same competent backhoe operator.  We had the concrete truck
maneuver his chute to the top of the ledge where one of the concrete truck guys
used a shovel to push the concrete down the chute and into the front loader
bucket of the backhoe.  The backhoe operator then turned around and slowly
maneuvered around the ledge and trees and trucked the concrete to the holes
where he dumped it in.  This process was repeated about 8 times over the next 1
1/2 hours.  At the holes, the other concrete truck guy then spread and smoothed
out the concrete over the rebar cages that I and N1MM had built.

I used up about 2 cubic yards of concrete for the 2 tower bases and 3 guy
anchor holes – which were all unusually deep and wide thanks to all the
boulders and debris that he kept digging out of the hardpan and rock mounds on
the ledge.

4) All the work was completed in 3 hours including all the pouring and
smoothing of the concrete.

The concrete (20 years ago) cost $1,050

The backhoe operator cost $200 to dig all the holes on the ground and up on the
ledge and another $150 to haul and dump the concrete.

I live in Western CT so nothing is cheap here.  But it was money well spent to
have highly competent people do the specialty work that I would not have done
nearly as well.  I save money by doing did all the weeks of chainsawing and
lost weight and put on muscle in the process – a side benefit.  If you are not
into physical work or you are not healthy enough, spend the money to have a
small professional and insured Tree crew do it for you.  They can probably get
it all done in two days for two tower worth of work with a few chainsaws and a
log chipper.

20 years later, my 2 towers have remained unscathed through Hurricanes Sandy
(110+mph wind gusts) and Irene, and F1 and F0 tornado direct hits and countless
episodes of straight-line winds, ice-storms and blizzards with hurricane force
wind gusts.  I never worry about the earth anchors.  I would however worry if
screw-in anhors would have stood up to the storms here.

GL and 73

Bob, KQ2M