[TowerTalk] HyGain Antenna Quality control issues

To: "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HyGain Antenna Quality control issues
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 09:43:32 -0500
I have had several Hygain antennas over the years (none recently) but
something that I thought I would point out. The use of the worm clamps has
been a problem for me on a couple of antennas (not necessarily just Hygain).
On one occasion I was putting together a 155BA and I was working in the
evening when it was cooler.  (I live in deep south Texas and it gets over
100 during the middle of the day). I was careful to NOT over tighten the
worm clamps.  After putting the elements together I finished for the day and
went out the following evening and found 3 of the worm clamps laying on the
ground. Apparently the clamps were OK in the cool of the evening but during
the heat of the day they expanded and broke. I decided to drill a hole at
each location and put a set screw because there was no way of knowing how
much expansion there was going to be. It probably doesn't get hot enough at
many locations but it is something to think about.  Those worm gears are
pretty easy to break.

This is one of the reasons that I switched to Force 12 antennas...they don't
use those worm clamps.

Bill W5VX