[TowerTalk] Antenna wind load vs tower specs.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna wind load vs tower specs.
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 17:53:02 -0400
The top star guy on my Rohn 65G with double bracing is around 18' below the
top. This allows for my top H.B. 15m beam to turn 360 degrees and it has
little interaction with the 40m and 20m beams on the 15' mast. This was fine
with Rohn engineers. For other Rohn towers I typically installed the guys as
high as possible, sometimes even in the top plate holes. Regarding AC0H's
installation, I would be concerned that the 70' AN Wireless is not rated for
52 sq ft at 100 MPH with antennas 20' above the tower. I would rather side
mount antennas than use a long mast.  Besides the added stress to the top
section from leverage, I really do not enjoy climbing masts.

John KK9A

Ed Sawyer N1UR wrote:

I have seen these depictions of the guy wires so low on the tower however I
have never built or seen one done that way.  Typically the top guys are
somewhere on the last section.  Personally - I like the guys at the 5 ft
below the top point.  That gives the most strength vs access to the top
balance.

I have to think that the top guys being 15 ft below the top of a tower that
is using 10 ft sections and only 80 ft  tall is seriously reducing the load
capability.

Curious as to opinions in this area.

Ed  N1UR