Re: [TowerTalk] Connectors, Installation, Bury-Flex, etc., DAVIS RF

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Connectors, Installation, Bury-Flex, etc., DAVIS RF
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 00:42:10 -0400
On further examination of the antenna and re-reading the instructions, I'm
inclined to agree with VE1DT, who wrote this:

Dick,

I looked at the drawing in the pdf and it shows a chassis mounted connector
coming out the bottom of the antenna.

Presumably, it is "around" that cut-out that they expect to drain moisture.
I would be careful not to "plug" any gaps around that connector in the
mating hole of the antenna. However, I would definitely waterproof the
attached N connector including where it connects to the antenna connector.

In other words, don't waterproof the antenna connector, but do waterproof
the coax cable connector.

--
Gerald, VE1DT

The square chassis-mounted N-connector is in an oval-shaped cutout in the
round metal disc, and the inside corner of the connector has been cut off so
it can clear the support tube.  There's a gap underneath the cutoff corner
such that the connector isn't flush to the metal disk there. It's flush at
the other three corners. I think the water is supposed to drain underneath
the cutoff corner and around the connector, so putting tape or vapor wrap on
it would impede the flow. Also, it's conceivable that there's a weep hole
under the cutoff corner that I can't see. If so, sealing that drain path
would be bad.

After re-reading this:

"Do not use coax seal or tape on type "N" connector. This
antenna is designed to drain excess water around the outside
of chassis mounted "N" connector. Sealing this area will cause
the antenna to retain water."

I believe they're talking only about the chassis-mount female N connector,
not the male connector at the end of the feedline. I'll waterproof that in
the usual way -- tape and vaporwrap and more tape. Will try to keep the
layers as thin as possible.

Thanks to all for the advice.

73, Dick WC1M