[TowerTalk] N connectors

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] N connectors
From: Mark Spencer via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 11:56:32 -0700
I've tried to stay out of the discussion re N connectors.   I'll just say:

-Almost all of the commercially made amateur radio antennas I use for 144 MHz
and up weak signal work were supplied to me with N connectors.

-Many of my preamps, watt meters etc for 144 MHz and up also were supplied to
me with N connectors.

-Connector caps are widely available for both male and female N connectors.
This helps keep dirt out of them.   I do agree they need to be kept clean.
Some of my portable operations involve literally dragging cables thru the mud
on occasion.  In that setting I typically seal the connector caps with Scotch
33 tape.

-In my experience quality N connectors seem more forgiving of less than perfect
weather proofing than PL 259 connectors.  At times I  don't bother with any
weather proofing at all when using high quality N connectors out doors for less
than a day.

-In my experience N connectors are still widely used in the resource industry
for various purposes.

-I find installing crimp style N connectors on to LMR type cable to be very
easy with the correct tooling.   I can also buy a large selection of tooling /
connectors etc of varying price points and quality "over the counter" at the
local electronics store.   Finding high quality PL259's and then installing
them is more difficult in my experience.

For MF/ HF use I don't have a huge issue with PL259 connectors but for portable
use  (ie. Field day Type settings) I do prefer N connectors (even at MF / HF)
due to my belief that N connectors are more likely to be forgiving of weather
proofing issues.  (I don't run over 100 watts on HF and typically run
reasonably well matched antenna systems so I'm not overly concerned about the
power / voltage / current limits of common coaxial RF connectors for that
application.)

-I find other hams are less likely to want to use / borrow my equipment /
cables etc as I tend to use N connectors as my default connector (:

-As usual the opinions and experiences of others may differ from mine.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ

-