Re: [TowerTalk] Re; Need Help Remembering Something I Read

To: john@kk9a.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re; Need Help Remembering Something I Read
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 21:45:52 -0700
On 7/8/2018 7:10 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
There are a number of contesters legally operating remote stations over the
internet.

John KK9A

This is a confusing topic.  Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

A station with a remote receiving site, not colocated with the
transmitting site, is not legal for DXCC or many/most contests.
This has nothing to do with remote operation:

Suppose you have a transmitter and receiver within a 500 meter
circle.  Yes, you can operate the station from the moon if you
want to.  OTOH, if the TX and RX are not within the 500 meter
circle, it is never DXCC/contest legal.

A gray area is that the antennas do not have to be within the
500 meter circle.  The rule is intended to differentiate
between an antenna that is still "local" yet outside the
500 meter circle.  Without the requirement to "connect it
by wire", you could use a remote receiving site on a distant
mountain top connected by UHF radio.

IMHO, they should just say the antenna has to be within a
certain circle (500 meters, or maybe a little more) and
let the connection be done any way.

The Stew Perry (a very intelligently designed contest)
allows a remote base up to 100 km away.

Rick N6RK