Re: [TowerTalk] Auto tuners, Baluns and open wire feeders

To: "'Mark Spencer'" <mspencer12345@yahoo.ca>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Auto tuners, Baluns and open wire feeders
From: <n6sj@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 16:15:11 -0700
Mark-

For many years I have used an 80M dipole strung between two fir trees and
fed with open wire line (not ladder line).  A tuner allows me to use it from
10M through 160M.

Running 100W, I used a little MFJ 941 antenna tuner with a built-in balun.
I bored holes through the wall and installed two ceramic insulator tubes
(from the old post-and-tube electrical technology).  I aimed the holes at a
slight downward angle so rain water won't run in.  Inside I brought the open
wire line right to the back of the MFJ tuner's balanced line input
terminals.

For 10M through 80M it works as a dipole.  For 160M I short the open wire
line together at the tuner input and match it as a random wire.  I had to
add a fixed capacitor in parallel with the tuner's cap to get a decent
match.  But it acts like a poor-man's T-top vertical in that configuration.
It's not great as there is no ground system underneath for the vertical
return currents, but I worked Peter I Island with 100W from near San
Francisco, a pretty long path.  Only problem was sometimes having the RF get
onto my radio chassis causing either RF burns or a terrible tone report!
Moving the open wire away from the power supply solved that.

It's certainly a simple set up and should be very useful at your cottage.
Your idea of putting the auto tuner outside and bringing coax into the shack
sounds good, and cleaner than my ceramic tubes.  Guess the only issue there
will be weatherproofing the tuner and balun.

73,
Steve
N6SJ