Re: [TowerTalk] how best to protect RC ham gear from lightning

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] how best to protect RC ham gear from lightning
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 10:49:17 -0700
On 7/27/2018 9:26 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
"My thoughts, so far, are to start from the highest point, with: 1.   A
mast with rotator, bonded to the tower, with the topmost antenna
down, say, 5ft from the mast top so the mast forms a sorta lightning rod"

Bonding around the rotator is important to prevent passive intermod within the rotator itself!

I think that's mostly a "feel good" exercise.  Focus on the bonding effort.
OTOH, I have a DC grounded M2 3 el. 30m monobander at 115 ft. above a
4-element SteppIR at 100 ft.  My own "feel good" thought was that the 30m M2
*may* offer some protection to the SteppIR.  I doubt it, but it felt good.

Paul has given excellent advice throughout this.  I had a station at a similar decommissioned AT&T long lines site for a while (160 ft tower, 32' square at the base, 24' square at the top), and had the opportunity to study the grounding. It's textbook.

73, Jim K9YC