Re: [TowerTalk] T2X cable connection at rotor

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] T2X cable connection at rotor
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2018 18:18:26 -0400
Bob,

The idea for hard-wiring a short pigtail that comes out a hole on the bottom of the Ham4/T2X is a great one, which is why I've been doing that for decades :-) The legacy terminal strips on these rotators are a PITA for sure.

I'll just add that trailer connectors, while good for applications that require frequent make/break operations, are a little overkill IMO for rotator connections on the tower. You still want to weatherproof them, and retrofitting your existing home-run lines is somewhat time consuming.

Here's what I do: I use 8-terminal euro-style terminal blocks to connect the pig-tail to the home run cable, and simply push the block up into a short piece of 1.5" PVC pipe with a cap on top, tape the pipe to a tower leg, and stuff a little sponge material into the bottom of the the pipe to keep insects out.

Done. Works great.

-Steve K8LX