[TowerTalk] More Rotor Loops Comments

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] More Rotor Loops Comments
From: "William J. Nicosia" <WB2ZKX@optimum.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 12:36:19 -0400
                In 2009, when my present system was built, I had to find a good compromise between durability, RF losses and, of course, cost. We all shop around for deals from the various suppliers. After comparing various choices I settled on Davis RF /Marine Grade/ RG-213 for my entire system. This has proven to be an absolutely trouble free cable. It's easy to work with and the exterior jacket has proven to be /very /durable. There are two provisos for a successful install. One is you must have the correct tools to prepare the cable for your choice of connectors. This is basic to avoiding failures at inconvenient locations like rotor loops. I chose to use crimp type UHF connectors from RF Parts for RG-213 that were both crimped (the shield only) and soldered only (the center conductor).

                The next technique I use is proper weather proofing of the connectors exposed to the outside elements. I don't favor any tapes, roll sealing materials or other such materials that employ sticky stuff. My secret is a product that came with every Cush Craft antenna and is fool proof. I'm referring to the PVC boot, sold as 5VB. Installation of these boots, similar to the type used for RG-6, only larger, guarantees a complete seal around the cable and connector and remove-ability for servicing and testing later. Obviously the boot is installed before the connector goes on. The only other product that comes close to this level of protection is the use of /flooded shrink tubing /but is only good for one time use whereas the boot can be slid back and replaced many times. Connectors prepared with proper tools, correctly sized connectors, the PVC boot and a bit of silicone grease on the threads will last for years and years and when opened for inspection will appear to be in brand new condition.

                That's one Ham's opinion.

                GL & 73,

                Bill, W2ZKX

---