Re: [TowerTalk] Solid 160 radial plates?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Solid 160 radial plates?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 08:45:49 -0700

I'm not sure what the metallurgy of the screw and bar would be like in conjunction with solder.  Of course the bar should be fine with copper (and I think even with aluminum in alkaline soil environments), so if I was hesitant about screwing down on multiple small wires (a valid concern, I think) I'd probably solder the smaller wires to one larger one to go into the bar.  And of course I'd use lead free solder since lead and moisture are bad bedfellows.

I probably wouldn't bury the bar underground because you never know what corrosive effects might be there, but you can screw the connections so tight that I'm pretty sure the metal to metal interface approaches that of a weld.  I don't think having it exposed to the elements above ground would be a problem.  I think maybe I'll give it a test.  I'll cut a couple of bars into sections with only two screws and make a series string of connections with short pieces of wire, then bury the mess in the ground.  I might even do two strings, one buried in the local alkaline soil and another in more acidic garden soil.  I could do both in large flower pots so I could keep the soils moist, and that would make it easy to monitor the resistance over time as well.

73,
Dave   AB7E