Re: [TowerTalk] drilling chrome-moly mast

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] drilling chrome-moly mast
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 08:31:59 -0700
I agree with Jim.

There is a problem not mentioned with the "pin the mast" strategy.  That is the hole and pin need to be a "close" to "line" fit.  Otherwise the mast will move back and forth in the actual sizes of the 4 holes.  That leads to wear and high shock loads on the mast and antennas.  Eventually the holes (or bolt or both) wear enough to allow a large excursion and more shock.  When I fit a taper pin with a special reamer to pin a shaft to a collar it is a tight fit that locks both parts in place with the jam taper of the pin.  Not used so much anymore, but it is the classic way to prevent this problem.

Any hand drilling of alloy steel tube likely won't be round or anywhere near desired diameter.  Even done in a vise on a mill, if drilling thru, it is likely the hole on the far side of the tube will wander from true position.

IMO, if your mast clamp slips, install a better one.

Re clamps, I'll chime in also.

plain U-bolts only are the worse - if slightly off size, only two points contact, one at the flat plate and one at the top of the bolt.  Can be made to work using lots of them of the right size. Prone to distorting the tube so clamping force is limited for thin wall tubes.

muffler clamps are one better IF the right size - more contact area in the saddle, but the stamped saddle is prone to splaying out when tightened, see Cushcraft A3/4 designs

really good are the DX Engineering cast saddles of correct fit - lots of contact area in the saddle.  The double V ones are not as good with 4 points of contact but are better than muffler clamps when the exact size isn't available, less distortion of the tube. My go to clamps for everywhere on antennas and masts.

near perfection are full top an bottom saddles with thru bolts - probably 300 degrees plus area contact, see JK Antenna designs, and the SteppIR DB36 I am assembling right now.  clamps tighten with very little tube distortion.  JK ones are CNC machined and SteppIR has invested in extrusions they slice into saddles - nice.  I make them when needed, eg driven element insulators.

perfection are the sleeve clamps, fit to the exact diameter of the tube - several folks make these as mentioned. Nearly impossible to distort the tube.

Grant KZ1W